Re: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 20:34:41 -0800

lazyboy_2k_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just finish installing ora10gR2 software on solaris 10 x86 testing
> machine & now try creating DB through dbca utility. During the
> creation of DB, I see the error msg "ORA-01503: CREATE CONTROLFILE
> failed, ORA-01158: database already mounted". So, I login the server
> & try to shutdown DB, but when I connect / as sysdba, I get this error
> msg "ORA-01031: insufficient privileges". I have done an extensive
> research on yahoo, asktom.oracle.com, otn.oracle.com, & google, and
> follow a numerous suggestions that people encountered this issue in
> the past; however, I haven't gotten any lucks so far. So, could
> someone please help me?
>
> $ grep sysdba /etc/group
> oracle::101:sysdba,oracle
> $ grep sysdba /etc/passwd
> sysdba:x:1001:101:Chris Oracle Testing Acct:/oraclesw:/bin/bash
> $ id
> uid=1001(sysdba) gid=101(oracle)
> $ sqlplus /nolog
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Tue Feb 20 15:16:41 2007
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.
>
> SQL> connect / as sysdba
> ERROR: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
>
> SQL> conn sysdba/mypassword as sysdba
> ERROR: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
>
> This was a response from Tom_at_oracle on someone's posted in the past
> "that means whomever installed your software used a group other then
> DBA to be the sysdba (internal) group. You'll need to find out what
> they used. DBA is the default, but you can override that during
> install." But I am the only one who installed oracle on this machine
> & already verified all of the sub-directories which are owned by
> sysdba:oracle. Any helps/suggestions are appreciated.
>
> TIA,
> -Chris

What UNIX account owns the installation? Is it the same as when you type whoami?
Are ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID set correctly? Are there other Oracle homes on the server?

And finally .... where did this come from? uid=1001(sysdba) gid=101(oracle)

SYSDBA is a role not a user
You need a gid = DBA and a gid = OINSTALL and a UID = oracle for the default.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington