Re: Are there any sample DBs with content to load ?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 19:12:39 -0800

Peter Swampton wrote:
> In order to learn some SQL and PL-SQL statements I need one or more sample
> databases with one or more tables inside.
>
> Ok, I could create the tables and data records manually.
> But this would be very unconvenient. Before I reinvent the wheel
> I could imagine that there is somewhere a sample database to download
> which I can load into my Oracle installation.
>
> Does someone here in the forum know such a sample database ?
>
> Thank you
> Peter

With an attitude like this you might want to run back to SQL Server with your tail between your legs.

But assuming the best ... the first thing you need to do in Oracle is learn the language. "Database" in Oracle refers to an entirely different physical and logical construct than the way you are using the word.

What you want in Oracle is schemas with tables ... and they are part of the default installation if you check the checkbox for sample schemas. You will find SCOTT, HR (human relations), SH (sales history), OE (order entry) and more.

Go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and bookmark it.
Go to http://www.psoug.org/library.html and bookmark it.
Go to http://www.amazon.com and buy Tom Kyte's books.
--