Re: sqldeveloper gives "compiler error" with good pl/sql

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 21 Feb 2007 12:52:19 -0800

On Feb 21, 2:22 pm, chunj..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> We are using stored procedures on Oracle, and everyday we need to
> export our tables, packages and sequences to some SQL files and upload
> them to a second database for our junit testing.
>
> We are using the Ant/sql to do the upload work, and using sqldeveloper
> to check the upload results. There are times that some package bodies
> are uplodaded, buy give us "compiler error", if I check through
> sqldeveloper.
> But somehow, if I manually re-compile the "failed" package body by
> using sqldeveloper, everything will be compiled successfully, no
> compiling errors ?
>
> So I am just wondering why we are getting these "errors" at first
> place? I thought they might be depended on some other tables/packages,
> and put these failed ones uploaded at last moment, but the "error"
> stays.
>
> Can I just ignore these fake errors and just run our unit test cases ?
> I mean Oracle will be smart enough to find out some packages not being
> compiled yet, and will re-compile them automatically during the
> runtime ?
>
> Charlie,

Are you shooting yourself in the foot by causing problems between package specs and package bodies?

Do you have an experienced plsql developer you can work with?

One approach is to use a procedure ( such as the sample one provided by tusc ) and after you are done making changes to "recompile everything that's invalid" within a schema.

http://www.piskorski.com/acs/src/plsql-util/sql/recompile-all-objects.sql

That's kind of a brute force way of attempting to recompile everything after your changes have been introduced. It's a better approach to really understand the dependencies between the changes you are introducing and have them introduced cleanly and smoothly. That does require a greater degree of coordination with developers, qa team etc and a higher degree of skill with oracle changes. Received on Wed Feb 21 2007 - 14:52:19 CST