Question about db_block_size and disk block size when formatted

From: <chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>
Date: 21 Feb 2007 06:48:46 -0800

We're looking squeeze as much performance as we can out of our disk subsystem and I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to. I've done quite a bit of striping/mirroring setups but a colleague of mine asked about the actual block size of the disks when they're formatted and what they should be, and I didn't have a ready answer.

Here is a scenario:
OLTP Application - Lots of reads - Read to write ratio is about 4-1
(actually a little less)

We're going to RAID 10 on 15K 146G drives (I know, I tried talking them into smaller drives but...)
There will be 10 disks in the stripe, so its only 5 disk groups (disk + mirror) in the stripe :(
They didn't like the SAN that they had so they're going with locally attached storage.

Now, if we have the db block size at 8K does it really matter what the formatted block size is? I'm assuming based on experience that a 1-1
(db_block_size=8K, os block size = 8K) would be best, but I can't find
any supporting information based on my search criteria.

Thoughts? Received on Wed Feb 21 2007 - 08:48:46 CST