Re: Does PL-SQL exist only for Oracle or for other database products as well ?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 19 Feb 2007 07:37:15 -0800

On Feb 18, 4:43 am, peter.s..._at_yahoo.com (Peter Swampton) wrote:
> Sorry for this newbie question: But is PL-SQL a special Oracle script language or does it exist
> for other database products as well ?
>
> Maybe PL-SQL is not an original part of MS-SQL Server resp. MySQL but there
> are 3rd party add-ons for these other products ?
>
> Can someone give me a brief hint about the role of PL-SQL
>
> Peter

Procedural Language Sequel, PL/SQL, is an Oracle product that has not been ported to any other database to my knowledge. Oracle did propose PL/SQL to the ANSI committee as a standard but the proposal went no where.

DB2 (since around v8) has SQL/PL which is a very different language

SQL Server, true to its Sybase roots, has T-SQL

Sybase has T-SQL which while very similar to MS varies some, especially in the provided procedures

What ever database you work with, learn its language. Each is (likely) optimized for its database engine and will usually provide better performance than generic tools.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Feb 19 2007 - 09:37:15 CST