Re: set SGA size through Enterprise Manager or pfile?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 19 Feb 2007 07:11:03 -0800

On Feb 19, 9:32 am, "Si" <si.dow..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm temporarily looking after an Oracle 9.2 database and have been
> asked to resize and redistribute the SGA following an increase in RAM
> on the box.
> I increased the SGA max size to 4 GB throught Enterprise Manager and
> restarted the database and the SGA resized to 4 GB. However, very
> shortly after the whole box was rebooted and when the database came
> back up it's size had gone back to what it was before the resize (1
> GB). Having looked into this there doesn't seem to be an spfile
> present.
> What is the relationship between making settings in a pfile and
> compiling it to an spfile and making changes through the Enterprise
> Manager GUI? Has the change in SGA size been lost because there is no
> spfile? Are changes made through EM saved to the spfile?
>
> Thanks in advance

First, if your database version is 9+ you should be using an spfile to manage the database parameters. If you are you need to update the spfile when you change parameter values that you want carried over a shutdown/re-start.

alter system set variable = value scope=spfile | both

Also why 4G? What was the SGA before? How did you determine that 4G was the proper amount of memory to add? Are you using automatic or manually controlled work space management?

I avoid using EM or other GUI tools for DBA work. If you just issued the command in SQLPlus you would not have this problem becuase you would know what you did.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Feb 19 2007 - 09:11:03 CST