Re: RMAN Restore on different server

From: Pete's <empete2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 19 Feb 2007 05:44:12 -0800

On Feb 17, 3:54 am, bards1888 <bards1..._at_yahoo.com.au.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have oracle 9.2 running on solaris which I backup weekly with RMAN
> using this command;
>
> "backup incremental level = 0 database plus archivelog delete all input"
>
> and daily every other day with this command;
>
> "backup incremental level = 2 cumulative database plus archivelog delete
> all input"
>
> I do have backup controlfiles also.
>
> I backup to disk and do not use an RMAN catalog.
>
> What I would like to do is to copy the rman backup files (~ 500mb and 2
> of them) to another server, which has the same version of oracle running
> on it, and restore/recover the database there. The datafile locations
> will be different so I will need to rename the files.
>
> I've read the RMAN manuals and cannot see and example of how to do this.
>
> Up until now I'd just hotbackup the database and restore using a backup
> controlfile, however, I thought I'd give RMAN a go to see if I can
> streamline this procedure.
>
> I've searched google etc and gone close to finding answers, but none
> quite fit the bill.
>
> Am I barking up the wrong tree ? is this sort of restore possible ? Or
> should I stick with the 'backup controlfile' method ?
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers.

If you use the following parameters in your target database, rman should perform the renames on the datafiles for you when run the cloning command:

db_file_name_convert      = (/oracle/PDB1/d01,/oracle/XDB1/d01,
                                         /oracle/PDB1/d02,/oracle/XDB1/
d02)
log_file_name_convert     = (/oracle/PDB1/l01,/oracle/XDB1/l01,
                                         /oracle/PDB1/l02,/oracle/XDB1/
l02)

HTH,
Pete's Received on Mon Feb 19 2007 - 07:44:12 CST