Re: Does PL-SQL exist only for Oracle or for other database products as well ?

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 19 Feb 2007 03:52:00 -0800

On Feb 18, 4:43 am, peter.s..._at_yahoo.com (Peter Swampton) wrote:
> Sorry for this newbie question: But is PL-SQL a special Oracle script language or does it exist
> for other database products as well ?
>
> Maybe PL-SQL is not an original part of MS-SQL Server resp. MySQL but there
> are 3rd party add-ons for these other products ?
>
> Can someone give me a brief hint about the role of PL-SQL
>
> Peter

It's an oracle extension for performing procedure processing against oracle databases.

Totally proprietary ... it's been around for a very long time in oracle.

Microsoft has TSQL which provides some of the "similar type" processing capabilities.

Dunno about MySQL specifically but there is certainly pressure on all the open source databases to provide some kind of procedure capabilities inside the database. Received on Mon Feb 19 2007 - 05:52:00 CST