Re: 30 character limit for table/column names?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 10:45:51 -0800

Timasmith wrote:
> In 10g is Oracle past the 30 character limit for table names and
> columns?
>
> thanks
>
> Tim

QL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.2.0 - Production on Sun Feb 18 10:44:44 2007

opyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All Rights Reserved.

onnected to:
racle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.2.0 - Production ith the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options

QL> desc user_tables

----------------------------------------- -------- ------------------
TABLE_NAME                                NOT NULL VARCHAR2(30)
TABLESPACE_NAME                                    VARCHAR2(30)
CLUSTER_NAME                                       VARCHAR2(30)
IOT_NAME                                           VARCHAR2(30)
STATUS                                             VARCHAR2(8)
PCT_FREE                                           NUMBER

Remember the need for synchronization. If Oracle goes to 35 ... so does every tool that must connect to it. I suspect we won't see that any time soon.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington