Re: Does PL-SQL exist only for Oracle or for other database products as well ?

From: Azhar <azhar_at_synametrics.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 12:58:05 -0500

Peter Swampton wrote:
> Sorry for this newbie question: But is PL-SQL a special Oracle script language or does it exist
> for other database products as well ?
>
> Maybe PL-SQL is not an original part of MS-SQL Server resp. MySQL but there
> are 3rd party add-ons for these other products ?
>
> Can someone give me a brief hint about the role of PL-SQL
>
> Peter

PL/SQL is the dialect of SQL understood by Oracle. The dialect for MS-SQL is called Transact SQL. This is analogous to differences in English spoken in England, US and Australia - there are some words unique to each region, but for the most part it is same.

There are some keywords on PL/SQL that Transact SQL won't recognize and visa versa. PL/SQL is only understood 100% by Oracle. This is the reason why you cannot take a stored procedure written for Oracle and run it against MS-SQL.

Regards. Received on Sun Feb 18 2007 - 11:58:05 CST