Re: oinstall vs. dba UNIX Group

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 18 Feb 2007 05:59:23 -0800

On Feb 16, 10:10 pm, HansF <Fuzzy.Greybe..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:12:17 -0800, Michael42 wrote:> separation of the jobs to install the software vs the daily operations.

> > From your point of view, what are the pros and cons of using oinstall
> > as the primary group rather than dba?
>
> I'm thinking that this is yet another SarbOx reaction - auditable

Well it could only be a reaction if this was changed and then standardized/recommended by oracle "after" sox. But it's been around for a very long time.

> In the installs I;ve done, I have not seen an impact either way on the
> operation.
>
> That said, oinstall is a group that has write access to the inventory
> whereas dba typically does not.
>
> Implication is simple - does your shop permit the general DBA to manage
> patches? If yes, then no impact ... if no, then keep 'em separate.

Probably I should have been clearer in my original reply.

Does my shop use the oinstall and dba groups? Yes we do.

Do we really need to operate like that. Not really.

If a shop has done the oracle installs and just used the dba group is that a problem? No. Received on Sun Feb 18 2007 - 07:59:23 CST