Re: oinstall vs. dba UNIX Group

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 14:41:31 GMT

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 04:25:21 -0800, Michael42 wrote:

> Thanks all very much for the very diverse take on this topic.

The thing I find with Oracle - it is designed for the entreprise from the ground up. If I stop at just technology perspective, I only understand about 1/2 of the stuff in there. If I think about the business side as well, I often get an 'ah ha' as to why it's done a specific way.

It's almost as if Larry is in the design meetings asking "what impact will that have on the CEO's business? how does that help his: availability? revenue generation? shareholder value? bottom line?" (Not that it does, but the development team had better have some answer in that area!)

> I guess in short, if I choose to NOT create an "oinstall" group and
> have everything continue to be owned by "dba" it should still be OK it
> sounds like.
>
> I have a slight concern that Oracle might put out a patch that
> requires "oinstall" be in place, this goes back to Dan's point of
> sticking to the docs, i.e. the Oracle published\recommended way.

I would temper Daniel's comment. It's still a slight issue (as explained at the end) but not a biggie.

Although Oracle has not made it clear in the docco, Oracle database environment has 3 'group definitions' - OSDBA, OSOPER and oinstall. The first two are well documented, as in
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/dba.htm#sthref150 but the last is somewhat hidden.

Interesting to note is that the value for "oinstall" and "OSDBA" groups are prompted by the OUI during install. oinstall is then used by the root config script in the inventory base directory to do the chown of the inventory directories and files.

Therefore, the 'support' issue should only be visible when doing a second install and the install group is not the same as the one that owns the inventory. In which case, the support call will probably end with a Homer Simpson (trademarked) 'DOH!' by the person requesting support.

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!