Re: RMAN Restore on different server

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 14:20:05 +0100

bards1888 schreef:
> Hi all,
>

> I have oracle 9.2 running on solaris which I backup weekly with RMAN
> using this command;
>
> "backup incremental level = 0 database plus archivelog delete all input"
>
> and daily every other day with this command;
>
> "backup incremental level = 2 cumulative database plus archivelog delete
> all input"
>
> I do have backup controlfiles also.
>
> I backup to disk and do not use an RMAN catalog.
>
> What I would like to do is to copy the rman backup files (~ 500mb and 2
> of them) to another server, which has the same version of oracle running
> on it, and restore/recover the database there. The datafile locations
> will be different so I will need to rename the files.
>
> I've read the RMAN manuals and cannot see and example of how to do this.
>
> Up until now I'd just hotbackup the database and restore using a backup
> controlfile, however, I thought I'd give RMAN a go to see if I can
> streamline this procedure.
>

> I've searched google etc and gone close to finding answers, but none
> quite fit the bill.
>

> Am I barking up the wrong tree ? is this sort of restore possible ? Or
> should I stick with the 'backup controlfile' method ?
>

> Any help greatly appreciated.
>

> Cheers.

It is possible, but you must adhere to the same directory structure your original (source) system used when making a backup of it.
That is, because those paths are recorded in the controlfile.

The fastest/easiest way is to use a shared mount point (e.g. NFS share), where you put your backup pieces.

The rename command (in order to rename your datafiles while restoring the backup) can be put in two places: you either spell them all out, or you use the init.ora entries - these work well if you have same file names, different directories.

If this does not work out - show the clone/restore script and the error

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...