Re: oinstall vs. dba UNIX Group

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 03:10:21 GMT

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:12:17 -0800, Michael42 wrote:

> From your point of view, what are the pros and cons of using oinstall
> as the primary group rather than dba?

I'm thinking that this is yet another SarbOx reaction - auditable separation of the jobs to install the software vs the daily operations.

In the installs I;ve done, I have not seen an impact either way on the operation.

That said, oinstall is a group that has write access to the inventory whereas dba typically does not.

Implication is simple - does your shop permit the general DBA to manage patches? If yes, then no impact ... if no, then keep 'em separate.

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!