Re: oinstall vs. dba UNIX Group

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 16 Feb 2007 16:33:41 -0800

On Feb 16, 6:44 pm, "hpuxrac" <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Feb 16, 4:12 pm, "Michael42" <melliot..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Hello,
>
> > As many of you I always installed Oracle versions (7-9) on UNIX
> > systems using "dba" as the primary group. On new 10g Database
> > installations the installation guide advises the use of "oinstall" as
> > the primary group and "dba" as the seconday group.
>
> > With the installation of a new system there are no concerns.
> > Installing 10g on a system with 9 can be a little tricky in the area
> > though.
>
> > >From your point of view, what are the pros and cons of using oinstall
>
> > as the primary group rather than dba?
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Michael
>
> The only "pro" to using oinstall is IF you have people that will be
> installing and maintaining oracle software that are NOT part of the
> dba group.
>
> How many people and sites actually operate with people that do that
> ( complicated ) oracle software maintenance activities that are not
> "operationally or organizationally" part of the oracle dba group? Not
> many in my experience.
>
> Captain Morgan's reply is off target. Oracle will fully support
> oracle installs based on whatever group name's and user names ( ie not
> actually oracle ) you select.- Hide quoted text -

I think oinstall exists at least partially for those sites that have split the DBA job function into Infrastructure DBA and Application DBA where the Application DBA's work with the developers but are not responsible for installation, configuration, or tuning of the database itself. The Infrastructure DBA does that along with applying all the patches. The Infrastructure DBA does not create objects (except via Oracle provided scripts like catalog, catproc, etc...), touch user data, or issue any application grants.

I agree with hpuxrac that there is no real benefit at this point in time to not using DBA if you have not split the DBA job function.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Feb 16 2007 - 18:33:41 CST