Re: oinstall vs. dba UNIX Group

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 14:05:49 -0800

Michael42 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As many of you I always installed Oracle versions (7-9) on UNIX
> systems using "dba" as the primary group. On new 10g Database
> installations the installation guide advises the use of "oinstall" as
> the primary group and "dba" as the seconday group.
>
> With the installation of a new system there are no concerns.
> Installing 10g on a system with 9 can be a little tricky in the area
> though.
>

>>From your point of view, what are the pros and cons of using oinstall

> as the primary group rather than dba?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

The pro is that you are following best practice, as recommended by Oracle, and if something goes wrong you will likely get better support. Of course you will also gain a measure of flexibility if installing multiple products which is, I believe, the point.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington