Specify Oracle System

From: <f125938B_at_hotmail.co.uk>
Date: 16 Feb 2007 06:29:16 -0800

Hi, this is my first post to this newsgroup so if this isn't the appropriate forum please accept I didn't know rather ignorant of netiquette.

My company has is about to contract out some PL/SQL work for table data manipulation and reporting and need to specify the performance we require. Basically a requirement might read "A call to procedure xxx on 'the specified system' with no other workload must execute within 8 seconds".

My question is what do I need to specify for 'the specified system'. Specifying the hardware CPU, memory and operating system is easy. Specifying the Oracle parameters is not. I do not need to specify the exact Oracle instance details (include all the .ora files etc) but loosely what is enough so that the during testing and recreation of the environment we can write "the procedure execution requirement was that it should complete within 8 seconds - it executed in 8 minutes" (whether it's 8 seconds or 6 seconds or 12 seconds, it is realistically a pass - at 8 minutes it is a fail).

Jonathan Lewis writes many times in "Cost Based Oracle Fundamentals" ......."As ever, we stick with an 8KB block size in locally managed tablespaces, with 1MB uniform extent size, avoid ASSM, and disable system statistics to make the test case reproducible ....". These writings are valid for what he is discussing.

What do I need to write in specifying the system for a requirement about a PL/SQL procedure in a package manipulating data completing in 8 seconds ? In addition to the Oracle version and install options, I need to specify other things but I don't know what. SGA memory allocation ? This isn't a treatise about every exact parameter I need to specify, just the top half dozen things so that we get a system gives the expected result in about 8 seconds and not 8 minutes.

Thank you
Ryan Received on Fri Feb 16 2007 - 08:29:16 CST