Re: DB Structure Oracle compared to SQL Server

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 08:50:09 -0800

euan.garden_at_gmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 14, 11:01 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> Robert Klemme wrote:
>>> I am in doubt whether this is still true withSQL Server2005.
>> It is!
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
>> (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org

> Close but wrong. A schema in SQL Server 2005 is like a schema in
> Oracle, a database in Oracle is like an instance in SQL Server in some
> ways and like a database in other ways. The schema answer is easy, the
> database one is more complex.

What you wrote is correct my does not alter the above responses. Microsoft and Oracle may use the same words to mean different things. But verbiage does not make it necessary to create 4 Oracle databases (Oracle usage) because in SQL Server there were 4 databases (SQL Server usage).

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington