Re: Different user, different indexes used. Why?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:20:50 -0800

samuelrollins_at_gmail.com wrote:

>> The two queres probably aren't accessing the same tables.  Look for
>> unqualified table names in your query.  You could have private
>> synonyms that differ for each user.  Or one of the users could have a
>> table of the same name in their own schema.
>>
>> - Bobby

> I've confirmed that neither of these situations is the case. They are
> selecting from the same data and returning the same data. I'm now
> investigating v$sql_plan, traces, and the prospect of VPDs. Any other
> ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Sam

Well you've got a version of Oracle not supported during the current millenium (and we don't know what 8i means ... 8.1.5? 8.1.7.0? 8.1.7.4?) so it is rather hard to offer too much help. I'd suggest posting the SQL statements and explain plans copied directly from SQL*Plus as they executed.

Also include the following from each:

SELECT dbid, name FROM v$database;

SELECT instance_name, host FROM v$instance;

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington