Re: Max size of SGA

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 14 Feb 2007 01:51:16 -0800

On Feb 14, 9:56 am, "Steve Robin" <ocma..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> what maximum size of SGA can be provided to one database if RAM is 1GB
> and I have 4 databases on it as it is developer database.

Assuming this is Windows, and Windows will *always* use 50 percent of RAM (regardless of the size of the RAM), this system is completely unsuited for 4 databases (as 256 Mb per database is an adequate minimum).
For the rest, Oracle has specified in the past a limit for Oracle usage of one third of physical memory.
The main guideline however is the system shouldn't page and swap like hell.

What is the business case for 4 databases? Oracle != sqlserver, a *schema* in Oracle is a *database* in sqlserver. You don't need 4 databases.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA