Re: Oracle & Sybase on a single Linux host?

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 13 Feb 2007 08:00:26 -0800

On Feb 13, 4:13 pm, "Jack" <jrsc..._at_comcast.net> wrote:
> I am going to attempt to install Oracle 10gR2 and Sybase 15 Express
> on a RH Linux 4 machine. I was wondering if anyone in the group has
> been able to do this successfully. Right now the machine has 2GB of
> memory and I plan to expand it to 4GB. I am reconfiguring the system
> parameters (shared memory, semiphores, swap, etc.) to meet the Oracle
> recommendations and then some to accomodate the Sybase requirements.
> Disk space is no problem. The two database servers will be on separate
> file systems with separate user accounts.
>
> My concern is the behavior of the database servers together. Sybase
> memory usage can be limited, but Oracle is a memory hog. Will the
> Oracle suck up all the shared resources leaving nothing for the Sybase
> server? Or will the two database servers trip over one another
> somewhere else? Installing multiple Sybase dataservers on one machine
> and installing an Oracle on a machine by itself presents no problems,
> but put both on one machine is a great unknown to me.
>
> I would appreciate any pointers.

Oracle is a memory hog primarily is your app has been developed by developers who don't know Oracle (which is the majority) and you are suffering from not using bind variables and untuned sql-statements or the Rule Based Optimiser.
So Oracle would suck up all resources only when the app developers didn't know Oracle and the DBA subscribes to the 'More iron is better' mantra by DKB and his accomplishes.
That said, you would probably better off by not even considering it.

--
Sybrand  Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA