Re: Execute Immediate DDL & DML

From: 00steve <steven_macleod_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 13 Feb 2007 02:03:36 -0800

On Feb 13, 12:05 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> 00steve wrote:
> >> I agree with what Frank wrote but I want to play devil's advocate for a
> >> moment.

> >> What is the value in learning bad practices?
>

> >> You could easily spend the next ten years of your life learning things
> >> of importance to managing databases. Why spend five minutes on something
> >> that will not work except in a stand-alone, single-user, environment?
>

> >> If you want to reset a sequence ...http://www.psoug.org/reference/sequences.html
> >> and scroll to "Sequence Resets"
> >> --
> >> Daniel A. Morgan
> >> University of Washington
> >> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> >> (replace x with u to respond)
> >> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org-Hide quoted text -

> > Ok, here's the situation. I have a coldfusion script which extracts a
> > build script from the data occupying 11 tables. I wrote this quickly
> > to save me the time involved in manually coding the INSERT build
> > script which will populate the system with the standard letter
> > templates (the letter templates were created through the same system,
> > although development and production systems are completely separate,
> > hence the need for a script to populate the production system) The
> > thing is, that once the script is executed, the sequences must be
> > incremented until they reach the value defined in the build script, to
> > make future additions (user-created templates function correctly)
>

> It's a build script. Why not just create the sequence with the correct
> START value?
>

> But if you must ... you could always do something like this:
> (and it is not intended to be real code)
>

> LOOP
> BEGIN
> INSERT
> EXCEPTION
> WHEN dup_val_on_index THEN
> INCREMENT the sequence
> END;
> END LOOP;
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org- Hide quoted text -

The schema has already been built, with the exception of the example letters. This part of the process I had no interaction with. So now I am in the situation of having to alter the existing schema. I didnt know about the dup_val_on_index exception; I will look into this. Received on Tue Feb 13 2007 - 04:03:36 CST