Re: Breaking Data Guard replication Oracle 9i via a failover

From: DJ Tonio <antoinebrunel_at_yahoo.fr>
Date: 12 Feb 2007 14:51:30 -0800

On 9 fév, 21:50, fae..._at_tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> Oracle 9.2.0.6 running on Sun Solaris 10
> Hi, I have a production primary server replicating to two standby
> servers. I want to break replication on one of the two standby
> servers for the purpose of having a database that is a copy of the
> production primary database open for read/write operations. The copy
> of the primary will never be a part of the data guard configuration
> anymore. I have done this failover procedure before on a 'proof of
> concept' environment following the documentation and it worked very
> well. However at that time the primary was shut down with a 'shutdown
> abort' to simulate a real failure. But this time the production
> server must be available at all times.
>
> My question is this. When I execute the commands for the failover
> operation on one of the secondary servers, must the primary server be
> down? I am worried there might be some communication from the
> secondary to the primary during the failover commands causing the main
> production instance to shut down. I hope I made sense, I am very
> paranoid.
>
> -- Steve

Hello

unless the primary database is acting with "guaranteed protection" level, stopping any standby database should not cause any trouble.

However,in order to stop complaints in primary 'alert.log' about the failed destination, disabling archiving to the corresponding destination:
sql> alter system set log_archive_dest_state_X='defer'

Regards Received on Mon Feb 12 2007 - 16:51:30 CST