Re: Oracle 9i very slow on certain queries

From: <paultreacy_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10 Feb 2007 04:00:23 -0800

On Feb 9, 11:05 pm, "Mark D Powell" <Mark.Pow..._at_eds.com> wrote:
> On Feb 9, 3:15 pm, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > paultre..._at_gmail.com schreef:

> > > very simple answer - nothing happened with my infrastructure:
>
> > I don't believe it - maybe you are simply not aware of it, because
> > it's someone else's responsibility (as often happens in larger
> > firms - Windows boys don't discuss with the Oracle boys, etc).
>
> > > restored last night's dump to a new 10g Oracle database on a different
> > > box to see in this would throw up my problem as I was having no joy
> > > finding the route on to problem using Mark's suggested method
> > > above(thank you Mark) ...
>
> > > however to my horror I am still getting the same response times with
> > > the new server running 10g (10.2.0.1.0 - Production) database with the
> > > 9i(Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production) dump
> > > imported.
>
> > OK - that's something: you can reproduce the problem. Do you
> > happen to have a dump of -say- a week old?
> > Could you restore that, and see if the problem the goes away?
> > If it does, it rules out all other options of hardware, OS, etc.
>
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Frank van Bortel
>
> > Top-posting is one way to shut me up...- Hide quoted text -

> Not fair, the first post does not say that you did an upgrade from 9i
> to 10g.
>
> Did the problem occur immediately after the upgrade or after the
> Oracle provided automatically scheduled gather stats job had time to
> run (over night)? The provided Oracle task generates histograms and
> if your 9i system did not use them then the sudden availability of the
> information can cause a lot of query plan changes and not necessarily
> for the better.
>
> 10g needs more memory than 9i so you should have added at least 5% and
> probably 10% to your shared pool with the upgrade.
>
> Did you change any of the database parameter settings with the
> upgrade? Did you switch SGA memory methods (manual vs auto)?
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --- Hide quoted text -

Apologies Frank if I can across short (I had posted before I thought about how it looked)- this was not intended

OK - the reason I did the upgrade was purely for testing....and in the hope that some of the new features of 10g would throw up the problem during the upgrade.
I rebuilt the indexes on the new database but no performance improvement. so this would lead me to think that it is some of the data in the database ??
I have a dump I think from the night before the problem started to occur. This is what I am going to do and if you think this is the wrong approach then let me know
option 1
1. Restore the dump from before the problem on test box 2. Compare the live with the test (the dump of the live before the problem)
option 2
1. Restore the dump from before the problem on test box 2. Import sections (tables, sequences, etc) of the live DB and test at each import point
3. hopefully this will throw light on the problem

Thank you both for your suggestions - I really value them despite how my above reply may appear

Paul Received on Sat Feb 10 2007 - 06:00:23 CST