Breaking Data Guard replication Oracle 9i via a failover

From: <faehns_at_tampabay.rr.com>
Date: 9 Feb 2007 12:50:26 -0800

Oracle 9.2.0.6 running on Sun Solaris 10 Hi, I have a production primary server replicating to two standby servers. I want to break replication on one of the two standby servers for the purpose of having a database that is a copy of the production primary database open for read/write operations. The copy of the primary will never be a part of the data guard configuration anymore. I have done this failover procedure before on a 'proof of concept' environment following the documentation and it worked very well. However at that time the primary was shut down with a 'shutdown abort' to simulate a real failure. But this time the production server must be available at all times.

My question is this. When I execute the commands for the failover operation on one of the secondary servers, must the primary server be down? I am worried there might be some communication from the secondary to the primary during the failover commands causing the main production instance to shut down. I hope I made sense, I am very paranoid.