Re: Oracle 9i very slow on certain queries

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 21:15:56 +0100

paultreacy_at_gmail.com schreef:
> On Feb 9, 1:02 pm, "frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com"
> <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 8 feb, 23:21, paultre..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>   my company has the following setup for 2 years:
>>> - NT Server 4 with oracle 9i server
>>> - Forms and Reports 6i connecting to the server from client
>>> - these are XP clients connected to an NT domain
>>> All queries etc were running fine for the last 2 years until today
>>> when suddenly some of the queries to the database started to perform
>>> very slowly.
>>> Queries that took seconds now are taking minutes and some of the
>>> reports are bombing out as a result.... I was wonder if there are any
>>> checks that I can run to specifcally isolate the problem/s
>>> Indexes are the only thing that comes to mind as an explaintion to the
>>> problem but how can I isolate with indexes to look at?
>>> If I do isolate an index as the problem is a rebuild the correct
>>> option
>>> Thanks in advance.
>> Very obvious answer:
>> What happened today with your infrastructure? Someone installed
>> a service pack? RAID array in degraded mode? Someone all
>> of a sudden decided statistics might be a good idea?
>>
>> Anyway: you get the picture: now fill in the blanks.- Hide quoted text -

> very simple answer - nothing happened with my infrastructure:

I don't believe it - maybe you are simply not aware of it, because it's someone else's responsibility (as often happens in larger firms - Windows boys don't discuss with the Oracle boys, etc). I
> restored last night's dump to a new 10g Oracle database on a different
> box to see in this would throw up my problem as I was having no joy
> finding the route on to problem using Mark's suggested method
> above(thank you Mark) ...
>
> however to my horror I am still getting the same response times with
> the new server running 10g (10.2.0.1.0 - Production) database with the
> 9i(Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production) dump
> imported.

OK - that's something: you can reproduce the problem. Do you happen to have a dump of -say- a week old? Could you restore that, and see if the problem the goes away? If it does, it rules out all other options of hardware, OS, etc.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...