Re: Windows2003 Server Config for Oracle 10g

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 Feb 2007 05:13:48 -0800

On Feb 7, 3:41 pm, "red_val..._at_yahoo.com" <red_val..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> We're awaiting a Dell 2900 PowerEdge machine with Win2003. We plan to
> load Oracle 10g Standard Edition and import our databases from the
> current 'production' machine, currently running Oracle8i. The main
> application is a networked, multi-user data modeling tool which uses
> Oracle as its data repository; and empty databases from the DDL
> generated from the modeling tool's physical data model segment. The
> two main Oracle databases themselves are 8 GB and 500 MB in size.
> It's possible that we may have to support MS SQLServer on the new
> machine, too.
>
> The PE2900 is configured with 8 GB memory; 2x73GB mirrored root SAS
> drives on channel0; and 8x146 GB SAS drives in 2 RAID 10 arrays with
> each stripe set of 4 drives on separate channel of the I/O card.
>
> The root disks will be logical C: drive, others logical D: drive.
>
> Is this the optimal configuration for this hardware set? Can anything
> be done better?
>
> Also, this is my first exposure to Oracle, though I'm a veteran DBA
> with other major DBMSes. Any words for the wise in configuring the
> new instance?

In addition to the other comments, I'd suggest you check MetaLink notes 225349.1 and 46001.1. Both deal with memory architecture of Windows and implications for Oracle. At the root of it is that installing 8gb of memory on the box doesn't give Oracle (or any other app) 8gb of flat address space when running under a 32-bit OS. Received on Thu Feb 08 2007 - 07:13:48 CST