Re: rman question

From: Jerome Vitalis <vitalismanN0SP4M_at_gmail.com.invalid>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 13:37:50 +0100

Vladimir M. Zakharychev wrote:
> On Feb 8, 1:25 am, "jerni..._at_kochind.com" <jerni..._at_kochind.com>
> wrote:

>> DB version 9.2.0.7
>> Windows Server 2003
>>
>> I have a question about deleteing obsolete copies with RMAN.   The
>> recovery window is set to 1 week.  The backup files are stored to
>> disk.  The RMAN script deletes the obsolete copies.  Then each night
>> the files are copied to tape using the server backup software and not
>> using RMAN.   If I restore a backup file from tape that is 10 days
>> old, can I restore the database to that point in time?   Is it
>> possible to restore to a time prior to the recovery period?

> Yes, but you will need to copy all required backup pieces back from
> the
> tape to disk and CATALOG them so that RMAN knows they are available.
> It will show them as obsolete, because they are outside the retention
> window, but it will use them for recovery if necessary. You can also
> CHANGE KEEP them to exempt them from retention policy.

That's not true if jernigam speaks about RMAN backups (and not RMAN copies) which it seems to be the case. RMAN 9i does not allow to catalog backup pieces, only datafile copies.

To answer jernigam's question (assuming we speak about RMAN backups), it would be possible to restore the database to an old point-in-time by restoring a control file backup taken before the "delete obsolete" and using it to complete the restore operation.

Jerome Received on Thu Feb 08 2007 - 06:37:50 CST