opatch fails do i need to reinstall the entire software?

From: Teresa <tpreto7_at_sapo.pt>
Date: 7 Feb 2007 17:03:33 -0800

I had oracle 8i installed on a solaries 5.8 server, then a fresh install of 10GR2 was done, about 2 months later the 8i install was removed including the O/S old ORACLE_HOME & ORACLE_BASE, now I need to install patch 4689959_10202_SOLARIS64 and of course fails with "OPatch failed with error code 72".

Meanwhile a restore has been done from the orginal 8i home and base, and I will be changing the oraInst.loc which is pointing to the 8i home to point to the 10g. And then I will be doing a "./runInstaller - silent -attachHome -invPtrLoc /var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc" if this does not work and if I have to reinstall oracle again which I really hope not, do I have to create the database and tablespaces? Or just the libs install? I really would like to avoid a total install of everything
Many thanks
Teresa Received on Wed Feb 07 2007 - 19:03:33 CST