Re: Daylight savings patch.....do you need it?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 7 Feb 2007 06:50:41 -0800

On Feb 6, 5:33 pm, "bdbafh" <bdb..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 6, 5:21 pm, "oracle_man" <oracle_..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > All,
>
> > If you do not use either TIMESTAMP or the JVM in you database, do you
> > need to patch for DST 2007? My understanding is that it is only
> > needed if you use either TIMESTAMP, or java virtual machine, or java
> > stored procedures in user/application schemas.. I also understad that
> > oracle's dictionary is ok as well. Anyone brave enough to have waded
> > through all the DST info on metalink, please let me know your
> > thoughts.
>
> > oracle_..._at_yahoo.comnospam
>
> OraBlogs linked to this page today:
>
> http://www.dbazine.com/blogs/blog-cf/chrisfoot/blogentry.2007-02-03.3...
>
> Worth a look.
>
> -bdbafh

The OP is correct for version 9.2 rdbms if no java in the db and no use of timestamp you should be able to skip the DST patches (or so I have been lead to believe). But 10g uses timestamp datatypes in the rdbms dictionary so it needs patching.

Other Oracle products have different requirements.

See Metalink notes:
Note : 359145.1 Impact of 2007 USA daylight saving changes on the Oracle database
Note : 340512.1 Timestamps & time zones - Frequently Asked Questions Note : 397281.1 USA 2007 Daylight Saving Time (DST) Compliance for Database and Fusion Middleware
Note : 396426.1 Effects on client and middle-tier of applying time zone patches on the Oracle Database

Plus the script Oracle provided to test your db has been shown to be flawed and a new version should be available.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Feb 07 2007 - 08:50:41 CST