Re: Dropping user with logged in sessions

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 6 Feb 2007 11:44:55 -0800

On Feb 6, 8:34 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> hasta..._at_hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > Is there an upper bound for the time needed
> > to actually kill a session at the oracle level ?
>
> Depends on how much work needs to be rolled back.

I dunno, I've seen them sit there for much longer than that. In older versions, it could be attributed to a busy SMON, so one could say using the OS process kill was better because it would use PMON which was usually very fast. As far as I can tell, there is no upper bound. The alter system kill times out after 60 seconds, but the session is left to finish whatever call it is making. That could be forever, especially if it is stuck in some poor PL code.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Marie_Nowak#Alleged_kidnapping_and_attempted_murder