Re: Dropping user with logged in sessions

From: <hasta_l3_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 Feb 2007 07:48:56 -0800

On 6 fév, 15:01, Brian Peasland <d..._at_nospam.peasland.net> wrote:
> hasta..._at_hotmail.com wrote:
> > Dear group,
>
> > I must write an automated procedure to drop
> > an Oracleuser/schema (cascade)
>
> > The procedure must succeed even if client apps
> > are connected for that schema.
>
> > Some clients perform automatic reconnection,
> > and will quickly ( < 30 secs) try to reconnect
> > if they find that the connection is lost.
>
> > What is in your opinion the most foolproof
> > way to implement this ?
>
> > Thanks much
>
> > --- Raoul
>
> > Oracle 8.1.7.3 and 9.2.0.4
> > Client connections are over TCP/IP
> > W 2000/2003
>
> What does the application enduserexpect to see during this operation?
> If I were using the app and got an Oracle error message during this
> operation, I'd be cursing the database.
>
> Why do you want to drop the database objects? What does this achieve for
> you?
>
> Cheers,
> Brian

Brian, this is a part of an emergency recovery procedure, wherein the whole user is dropped and recreated.

A variation is to stop and block all connections while a schema migration to a newer release is going on.

In theory the client apps should not be running, but in actual reality some of them still are, by mistake, often in remote locations.

While the schema is being updated or recreated, the users will see the message that the database is not available.

Schemas are versionned, and applications will switch to a read-only mode when they find themselves connected to the wrong version. Received on Tue Feb 06 2007 - 09:48:56 CST