Re: Recovery Scenario

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 2 Feb 2007 14:25:40 -0800

On Feb 2, 1:42 pm, "Mahi" <mahesh.kall..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have a tablespace of 3.5 TB size, some body dropped one table from
> it, my senior asked me to recover that, recovering minimal amnt of
> tablespaces.
>
> We are using Oracle 9.2.0.5.0 and Sun Solaris 9.0, i tried to recover
> System , Undo & the tablespace which is having that dropped table, by
> using RMAN.
>
> 1) I have full backup of Database with Archivelogs
> 2) I created auxilary DB with Pfile of target
> 3) then i gone for PITR of tablespaces, using set until time
> 4) Restore tablespace system, rbs, ba
> 5) set new name to the datafiles
> 6) Recovering the 3 tbs skipping remaining tbs
> 7) Renaming the Redo log files
> 8) Alter database open resetlogs
> here when i checked the v$datafile it contains these 3 tablespaces
> online, SYSTEM, RBS & BA the remaining in offline drop mode.
>
> My mentor says that she wants 3 tbs only system, rbs & ba to c not all
> the other, she says i recovered complete database.
> is anything wrong i did here.
> for recovery command also i have used until time option.
>
> Please Advice me
>
> With Regards
>
> Mahesh

This seems like a tremendous amount of work to recover one table when an export could have saved you time. However, you've done what she's asked, recovered only those three tablespaces (you'll not find the datafiles for any of the others). The controlfile recovered from the RMAN backup lists all of the datafiles for that database which is why they are also listed in v$datafile. That they cannot be found causes Oracle to consider them dropped.

It doesn't appear you've done anything wrong in your procedure. Although to use RMAN to recover a database (or parts thereof) simply to restore a single table seems like overkill.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Feb 02 2007 - 16:25:40 CST