Re: How to increase MAX number of connections for Oracle DB server?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 2 Feb 2007 07:08:55 -0800

On Feb 2, 10:01 am, "jshen...._at_gmail.com" <jshen...._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to system tuning of Oracle DB. Our Oracle DB seems to only
> allow 128 connections,
> while the DB connection requirement has exceed 250. How could I
> increase the max number of connection allowed for this server? should
> I tune any other parameter ?
>
> Joe
>
> ps. there are 16 CPUs with 8GB DRAM and Disk arrays installed . The OS
> is HP-UX 11i.

Oracle does not have a 128 connection limit. I suggest you check the values that you have set for the database parameters: processes and sessions in your spfile or init.ora.

See the Oracle version# Reference manual for your unspecified version for information about all database parameters including their default values.

My guess is you need to set processes to a higher value.

With 8GM of Ram I would not consider using Shared Server. Dedicated sessions have both performance advantages and application design issue advantages over Shared Server.

HTH -- Mark D Poweell -- Received on Fri Feb 02 2007 - 09:08:55 CST