Re: oracle 10g grid

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 10:07:36 -0800

Steve Robin wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is this grid technology and RAC is somehow quite same.

Only if you listen to the befuddled message put out my Oracle marketing. The technologies are completely independent. You can have RAC without GRID. GRID without RAC. Or both.

> I know it is stupid question for some of you. Please clear my this
> doubt.

Actually it is not a stupid question. From day one Oracle has botched the grid message creating confusion. RAC is a great solution to the problem of servers and instances as a single point of failure. Grid has nothing to do with that at all except that it can be used as a tool to manage and provision RAC clusters.

If Oracle would clean up the message I suspect sales would go up.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington