I uncover the secret of visual consciousness

From: <mantaintai_at_yahoo.com.cn>
Date: 31 Jan 2007 22:47:59 -0800

I uncover the secret of visual consciousness

Proof of visual consciousness

>From image formation by a plane mirror to the generation of (human)
visual consciousness

image formation by a plane mirror , visual consciousness, transform, virtual image , overlap(superpose), dual identities, seeing an object

How could an object become visible when observed by the eyes of the human beings, i.e., how could the electrochemical changes of the visual cortex and cerebral cortex be transformed into an object? Apparently, this transformation would never occur if we take the word "transformation" by the common sense. However, given the fact we could indeed see an object, the changes in the visual and cerebral cortex MUST have already been transformed into an object. Therefore, "transformation" here should have other implications more profound than commonly understood , and we ought to find out the mechanism and pathway involved in this process.

The electrochemical changes in the visual and cerebral cortex must be firstly translated into an image. Then this image ought be changed into the corresponding object. In comparison with image formation by a plane mirror, we would elucidate the mechanisms and pathways of these most unexpected transformations, with an effort to reveal the mystery of visual consciousness .

Does it hold true that the mirror itself produces the image (a virtual image) formed by a plane mirror? Definitely no. The virtual image is produced by the brains of human beings and animals, rather than by the mirror itself.

Can it be more clearly demonstrated that the virtual image is generated via the brain, than analyzing the process during which the light enters into a plane mirror from the object, and then gets into the eyes and brain, thus leading to the visualization of the virtual image?
Can we assume that there exists a virtual image before the light enters the eyes? Of course we cannot.

The single role a plane mirror plays in the whole process is the reflection of light. However, after entering into the eyes, do not these reflected lights need further procession by the brain? The eventual result of this procession is seeing the virtual image.

The reason why we are capable of taking photos of an object while taking pictures facing the plane mirror with a camer is NOT due to our capability to capture a virtual image, as there is no real light given out by the virtual image; rather, it lies in the fact that the reflected light is able to enter into the lens of the camera.

As shown by Fig A, the convergence of the inverse expansion lines helps to explain the position of a virtual point. However, neither the virtual points nor the virtual images are produced by the convergence of the inverse expansion lines, as the latter are not actual entities while the former are existing facts. How could a non-existing inverse expansion line be used to explain the existing actual fact of a virtual image? In fact, it is exactly the mechanism of image generation in the brain that defines the laws(/rules) of image formation by a plane mirror.

What is the ultimate role for the fact that the brain is capable of producing (/generating) an image( virtual image)? Actually, it is exactlly this capability that enables a human being to achieve the final results, i.e. , seeing an object, during the process of visual consciousness generation.

In the following, we will explain how the brain sees an object when obseved by a human being.

As shown by Fig B, when an object A is observed by the eyes and the brain O, a
virtual image A' is fomed (/produced) in the first place, which possesses two unique
characteristics.

Firstly, it is exactlly identical to the object A itself. Secondly, and the most strikingly,
it can be filled with the corresponding object, resulting in what we called the
overlapping£¨superposing) of an object with its virtual image.

Only the virtual image itself can be entirely overlapped(superposed) by the related object, and the space a virtual image occupys is called the virtual space , while the space of an object is defined as the physical space.

Fig C shows that the virtual image A' and the object A are overlapped(superposed), leading to the presentation of both A' and A in the same position. Because the virtual image A' and the corresponding object A utilize an identical image after overlapping on each other,So, the image here has dual identities, with one as a virtual image and the other a physical object. The image has an extra character ,The image becomes the object A. Thus, as we see the virtual image A', we are actually observing the object A itself.

It becomes apparent that the final result of visual consciousness is achieved via a
two-step process, i.e., the formation of a virtual image in the first place, and
secondly the overlapping(superposing) of this virtual image with the corresponding object.

It is the process of overlapping(superposing) that turns a virtual image into a visible object. This unique character( of a virtual image) is best utilized in a most perfect and magic way during the final stage of visual consciousness.

A A'
____|______|______0 £¨the eyes and the brain £© B Fig

A A'
____|_____________ 0 £¨the eyes and the brain £© C Fig

my email:mantaintai_at_yahoo.om.cn
mantaintai Received on Thu Feb 01 2007 - 00:47:59 CST