Re: Shutdown of one instance takes about 1hr

From: Digeratus 2006 <digeratus2006_at_nospam.hotmaildotcom>
Date: 01 Feb 2007 00:01:38 GMT

Alexander Skwar <alexander_at_skwar.name> wrote in news:1071g4y8724mq.dlg_at_std.dialog.schweiz.digitalprojects.com:

> Hello!
>
> Each night, we shutdown the Oracle 9.2.0.4.0 databases on our
> Solaris 9 host. I now noticed, that it takes about 1 hour for
> a certain instance to shutdown:

[snip]

> To shutdown, I use the Oracle supplied dbshut script, which simply
> does a "shutdown" after having connected with "connect / as sysdba".
> Obviously, I don't run those commands manually, but have a cron
> job setup, which runs dbshut and 15 seconds after it finishes, it
> runs dbshut again. Actually, it does:
>
> su - oracle -c "ORACLE_HOME=$ORACLE_HOME $ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl
> stop ORACLE_HOME=$ORACLE_HOME $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbshut"
>
> Anyway, when it shuts down the databases for the 2nd time, it again
> takes about 1 hour to do the shutdown.
>
> But is the shutdown actually successful? I wonder because of the
> message
>
> ORA-01013: user requested cancel of current operation
>
> Further, when I startup the databases again, I see this in the logs:
>
> SQL> Disconnected from Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.4.0 -
> Production JServer Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production
>
> Database "RACEP1" warm started.
> Database "RACEREF1" already started.
>
> Database "RACEREF1" possibly left running when system went down
> (system crash?). Notify Database Administrator.
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production on Wed Jan 31 05:00:58 2007
>
> The system did not go down. At noon today, I manually shutdown the
> database, and that was very fast (a few seconds). It also came up just
> fine (ie. no message).
>
> What's happening there?
>
> Alexander Skwar

As the others have said, "shutdown immediate" is your first step.

It looks like something is interrupting the shutdown of "RACEREF1". Without more details, it is difficult to say what is happening.

Even with a "shut down immediate" there is a 0.1% chance that the database will not shut down. We shutdown 200 databases every night and at least one doesn't stop each week. We have a seriously modified version of dbshut. Our script spawns the shutdown then waits up to 512 seconds before issuing a "shutdown abort" followed by a "startup restrict" and a "shutdown immediate". Just to be sure, we also kill anything else associated with the database. There is lots more. This is over-the-top overkill over-engineering, but I like that kind of scripting.

Andy Young
"If it isn't broken, then it doesn't have enough features, yet" Received on Wed Jan 31 2007 - 18:01:38 CST