Re: Migration From Sybase To Oracle - White papers, tools, etc.

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 31 Jan 2007 12:43:07 -0800

On Jan 31, 8:57 am, "Jack" <jrsc..._at_comcast.net> wrote:
> A critical bank application will no longer support Sybase and I will
> have to migrate it to Oracle sometime this spring. In the past I have
> migrated an Informix database to Oracle, but it was quite awhile ago.
> The application's uses Sybase 12.5.0.3 and the target server probably
> will be Oracle 9i or 10g. The conversion will require the transfer of
> devices, tables, indexes, constraints, stored procedures, batch jobs,
> etc.
>
> What I need now is to know what resources are available to me. Are
> there any good white papers readliy available? Are there any good
> tools available? I heard that Oracle Migration Workbench has some
> problems. I know nothing on how good SwisSQL is. I would appreciate
> some pointer.

I would suggest seeing the books by Tom Kyte, in order to understand the architectural differences between the db engines. There are likely
to be some significant enough to require some design changes, especially
if this is a critical system. Use 10g.

FAQ: http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/win.920/ a97247/4sql.htm#1044611

Doc: http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/win.920/a97248/ toc.htm

Knowledge Base: http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/migration/kb/ index.html

I don't know about swissql either, it's been too long since I've actually done this.
Since Sybase and MS-SQL used to be the same, most things that Oracle refers
to as MS-SQL also applies to Sybase.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.