Re: Can Anyone Explain ...

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 31 Jan 2007 04:03:44 -0800

On Jan 29, 7:15 pm, "Dereck L. Dietz" <diet..._at_ameritech.net> wrote:
> "Mark D Powell" <Mark.Pow..._at_eds.com> wrote in messagenews:1170115416.298450.230030_at_p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...
>

> > On Jan 29, 6:50 pm, "Dereck L. Dietz" <diet..._at_ameritech.net> wrote:
> > > Why the "DBA" in charge of a database would not use RMAN to back up a
> > > database? It currently takes nearly 24 hours each weekend to do a cold
> > > backup.
>
> > > When I questioned why about all the answer I got was that the RMAN
> catalog
> > > "wasn't installed". I also wasn't able to find out what it was he was
> using
> > > to do the backup of an over 2,000 GB data warehouse.
>
> > > Also, can anyone confirm/deny whether he has valid points in not using
> > > Oracle ASM when we are experiencing bad I/O throughput. His "reasons"
> were
> > > that he'd have to shut the database down in order to convert to ASM and
> he
> > > had a problem with raw devices.
>
> > > The I/O throughput problem we've been having is that there are 6 data
> > > tablespaces, 5 indexes tablespaces and 3 temporary tablespaces (and
> their
> > > associated physical files) all on the same drive causing massive waits
> if
> > > more than a few people start querying data.
>
> > The Oracle version in use has a bearing on the answers.
>
> > 1- you do not have to use a rman repository to use rman to make your
> > backups. Rman can use just the control file and is fully recoverable
> > even if the control file is lost (providing the DBA makes backing up
> > the control file part of the rman backup)
>
> > 2 - you do not have to use rman to perform hot backups. You can do
> > this manually: alter tablespace x begin backup....
>
> > 3 - I would not recommend the use of ASM. Depending on your exact
> > release the product has a lot of bugs and inefficient operations. (Try
> > to recover from lost of a disk in a mirror set) The word is that
> > Oracle 11 will have a rewritten disk management feature.
>
> > HTH -- Mark D Powell --
>
> The Oracle version is 10 Release 2. From what I gather from previous
> meetings there are a number of patches he hasn't installed since he's
> waiting for release 3 to come out.
>
> Also, the database is in NOARCHIVELOG mode.- Hide quoted text -

If I were you with so many questions ( not saying they aren't good or relevant potentially ) I would ask these questions to the DBA or if you feel strongly their management.

Many large data warehouses do operate in noarchivelog and many don't use rman.

Depending on the organization many places setup their data warehouses so that they don't need to be recovered instead they would be recreated.   The funding for the hardware devoted to data warehouses varies considerably.

Patches from oracle always carry the risk of collateral damage. Received on Wed Jan 31 2007 - 06:03:44 CST