Re: Oracle 10g XE java_pool_size & streams_pool_size

From: FatP <thatsang_at_gmail.com>
Date: 31 Jan 2007 02:19:19 -0800

On 1月30日, 上午12時42分, "MTNorman" <mtnor..._at_duke-energy.com> wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2:44 am, thats..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Oracle 10g XE does not support Java nor Streams. However, Oracle
> > insists on assigning 1 dozen MB total for them even is the
> > corresponding *_pool_size are set to 0. Isn't this a bit stupid?
>
> I usually work with enterprise edition and have little experience with
> XE beyond some "try it out" installs so this is only an educated
> guess.
>
> One, I believe you are attempting to change the wrong parameter.
> "java_pool_size" is the parameter you can change with alter system.
> "__java_pool_size" is an ASMM value recorded in the spfile so that the
> ASMM sizings persist across instance restarts.
>
> Two, the 10g data dictionary contains java stored procedures and uses
> queues. The 12m is probably a realistic mimumum size. ASMM reduces
> the size of any managed pools (java is managed, streams is not) when
> there is pressure from other pools. You can try reducing
> java_pool_size=1k, but your database may not start back up afterwards.
>
> Hope you find this helpful,
> Margaret

Thanks for all your comments.

Oracle XE does not support java and streams, and nothing seems related to java according to object type. Therefore, I would assume it is OK to set the pool sizes to 0.

alter system set "__java_pool_size" does run, and the pool sizes really become 0 in v$sgainfo. However, the values remain non-zero in v $sgastat. So this actually cause more confusion.

SQL> SELECT * FROM V$SGAINFO
  2 WHERE NAME LIKE '%Pool Size';

NAME                                     BYTES RESIZE
----------------------------------- ---------- ------
Shared Pool Size                      88080384 Yes
Large Pool Size                        8388608 Yes
Java Pool Size                               0 Yes
Streams Pool Size                            0 Yes

SQL> SELECT POOL, SUM(BYTES)
  2 FROM V$SGASTAT
  3 GROUP BY POOL
  4 /

POOL                     SUM(BYTES)
                           58716356
java pool                   4194304
streams pool                8388608
shared pool                88085080
large pool                  8388608

I was unable to fill up the SGA so that ASMM resize the pools. All the pools have free memory whatever I do. I would like to assume that Oracle would resize the pools if the space is needed, or there are secrets missions in java & streams pools Received on Wed Jan 31 2007 - 04:19:19 CST