Re: oracle 10g migration due to performance problems

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 30 Jan 2007 16:37:19 -0800

On Jan 30, 5:58 pm, "prunoki" <hegyv..._at_ardents.hu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The company we work for is currently trying to push down the CPU
> consumption of an application which runs under Oracle 8.1.7. Among
> other ways (optimizing, finding and rewriting the resource hungry
> parts), one possible option is to migrate to 10g. Some say that the
> upgrade in itself (not optimizing anything, except possible plans
> going mad or getting sources to compile) will help in this matter.
> Others have doubts or different opinions. Currently we are in the
> middle of setting up a test environment to measure things but I would
> be very interested in your opinion/experience beforehand. Do you think
> migrating to 10g helps in reducing resource consumption?
>

>From the info you have supplied, it's impossible to guess in what
direction your application will behave. But setting up a test environment is the right way to proceed.

Upgrading from one version to another often introduces as many problems as it helps. The optimizer gets smarter and makes different decisions ... not always beneficial. Received on Tue Jan 30 2007 - 18:37:19 CST