Re: charset for kangi

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:37:11 +0100

MTNorman schreef:
> On Jan 30, 10:19 am, ehilah <p..._at_tin.it> wrote:

>> I have to create in instance on which I'll have euoropen characters and
>> kangi charactes (english, italian, french ,german ,sweden and kangi ...)
>> is correct to use utf8 character set ? or is it better to use al16utf16
>> by
>> PP

> The database character set must support single byte entries in the
> data dictionary, so AL32UTF8 is a good choice. The national character
> set may be multi-byte so AL16UTF16 is allowed there. Normal data
> types (char, varchar2, clob) use the database character set and
> national data types (nchar, nvarchar2, nclob) use the national
> character set. Usually you will want most of your data in the
> database character set (and using 1 byte per character) with several
> table columns using the national character set to save names,
> addresses, etc.

AL32UTF8 is a variable byte characterset, capable of supporting all mentioned languages.

In that case, I'd go for WE8MSWIN1252, with the problem of having to code different fields, using the National character set (1 field would be a varchar2, the other nvarchar2. Both fields contain the same information, the nvarchar field in Kanji). This is a coding and maintenance nightmare in the make.

I would not go for different fields at all when designing such an application, but rather have one characterset. I would always opt for the AL16UTF16, because: - it is closest to the Windows code set (like it or not,

   most clients use that on the desktop to enter characters) - it is fixed double byte.

There may be other considerations, which would make the first option a viable choice.
Simple UTF8, as you call it, is not 10G - AL32UTF8 is. And it is a valid choice.

Take a look at
http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14225/ch2charset.htm#i1007681

--
Regards,