Re: Can Anyone Explain ...

From: EscVector <Junk_at_webthere.com>
Date: 30 Jan 2007 06:59:56 -0800

" network connection. RMAN would be an improvement only because it
 would write less data (only used portion of tablespaces in a  compressed backup set files), but it would still be a long and slow  process unless you stage the backup sets to disk first and then write  them to tape or improve your tape system or server-to-tape communication."

There are many other benefits to RMAN and it can be parallelized making it super fast to disk.

I have gone to tape very quickly as well. http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/L700/L700.html can be used to go directly to tape and at approx 1t per hour. Dedicated Bandwidth and tape drives are all that's needed.

"Prior to 10g, RMAN required a recovery repository, so maybe that's a
 training issue."

This is incorrect. The option for no catalog has been around since the beginning.
I suggest you read this book: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/rman/ cover.html

I think it is funny how many misconceptions there are regarding such a fundamental Oracle product that performs such a critical function. Received on Tue Jan 30 2007 - 08:59:56 CST