Re: Can Anyone Explain ...

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 29 Jan 2007 16:03:36 -0800

On Jan 29, 6:50 pm, "Dereck L. Dietz" <diet..._at_ameritech.net> wrote:
> Why the "DBA" in charge of a database would not use RMAN to back up a
> database? It currently takes nearly 24 hours each weekend to do a cold
> backup.
>
> When I questioned why about all the answer I got was that the RMAN catalog
> "wasn't installed". I also wasn't able to find out what it was he was using
> to do the backup of an over 2,000 GB data warehouse.
>
> Also, can anyone confirm/deny whether he has valid points in not using
> Oracle ASM when we are experiencing bad I/O throughput. His "reasons" were
> that he'd have to shut the database down in order to convert to ASM and he
> had a problem with raw devices.
>
> The I/O throughput problem we've been having is that there are 6 data
> tablespaces, 5 indexes tablespaces and 3 temporary tablespaces (and their
> associated physical files) all on the same drive causing massive waits if
> more than a few people start querying data.

The Oracle version in use has a bearing on the answers.

1- you do not have to use a rman repository to use rman to make your backups. Rman can use just the control file and is fully recoverable even if the control file is lost (providing the DBA makes backing up the control file part of the rman backup)

2 - you do not have to use rman to perform hot backups. You can do this manually: alter tablespace x begin backup....

3 - I would not recommend the use of ASM. Depending on your exact release the product has a lot of bugs and inefficient operations. (Try to recover from lost of a disk in a mirror set) The word is that Oracle 11 will have a rewritten disk management feature.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Jan 29 2007 - 18:03:36 CST