Re: Unique index not being used, up to date stats

From: Valentin Minzatu <valentinminzatu_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 29 Jan 2007 14:06:59 -0800

On Jan 29, 4:20 pm, "Ben" <bal..._at_comcast.net> wrote:
> On Jan 29, 3:59 pm, "Valentin Minzatu" <valentinminz..._at_yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > It looks like you have 3 options:
> > 1. open a case with Oracle
> > 2. keep replacing statistics with the old values (I know in 10g you
> > can lock statistics, but I do not know of any method for doing it in
> > 9i)
> > 3. use stored outlinesech, ech, and ech.
>
> :) I know that I should probably start looking into stored outlines,
> as I'm not familiar with them at all really, other than I know you
> create and use them.
> I am still really new to this dba stuff, and in such, I'm a little
> afraid of making adjustments to parameters but our opt_ind_cost_adj
> and opt_ind_caching is still set to default values.
> In Johnathan Lewis' article he discusses setting these and I think I
> need to just bite the bullet and experiment. It's hard to do this kind
> of thing in our development system, as it has no comparable workload
> and it sits on a machine that is old and has 4X less the number of
> cpu's. We also are not collecting system statistics. This could be
> something else that needs to be researched.
> thanks for the help.

Sorry for having to state the obvious above, but that is pretty much all I can think of. I would play with the stored outlines rather than with optimizer_index_cost_adj - keep in mind that the first affects specific queries while the latter affects the whole database behavior. Received on Mon Jan 29 2007 - 16:06:59 CST