Re: Oracle 10g XE java_pool_size & streams_pool_size

From: MTNorman <mtnorman_at_duke-energy.com>
Date: 29 Jan 2007 08:42:54 -0800

On Jan 29, 2:44 am, thats..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> Oracle 10g XE does not support Java nor Streams. However, Oracle
> insists on assigning 1 dozen MB total for them even is the
> corresponding *_pool_size are set to 0. Isn't this a bit stupid?

I usually work with enterprise edition and have little experience with XE beyond some "try it out" installs so this is only an educated guess.

One, I believe you are attempting to change the wrong parameter. "java_pool_size" is the parameter you can change with alter system. "__java_pool_size" is an ASMM value recorded in the spfile so that the ASMM sizings persist across instance restarts.

Two, the 10g data dictionary contains java stored procedures and uses queues. The 12m is probably a realistic mimumum size. ASMM reduces the size of any managed pools (java is managed, streams is not) when there is pressure from other pools. You can try reducing java_pool_size=1k, but your database may not start back up afterwards.

Hope you find this helpful,
Margaret Received on Mon Jan 29 2007 - 10:42:54 CST