Re: SQL developer want become oracle DBA

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 29 Jan 2007 04:11:16 -0800

my-dba wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Any input would be appreciated, and thanks much.
> I am a SQL developer/software engineer. I would like to learn and
> become a Oracle DBA. I don't have time to come to training class so I
> consider take the online course from Oracle http://
> education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?
> page_id=39 . Do you have any ideas what books and online courses are
> a good resources? Thanks.
>
> Bill

There are ( unfortunately ) many oracle developers and software engineers that don't have a good understanding of how and why oracle operates. The nuts and bolts of how to install software, maintain software, create and monitor databases, backup and recovery systems etc are all pretty easy to learn even though it takes a lot of time.

If you don't have a good understanding of "how and why" oracle does things that's the place to start. Tom Kyte has a new book out ( there will be three eventually in the series I believe ) that is the place to start.

Here's my book list for you ...

  1. Tom Kyte's Expert Oracle Database Architecture. Start with this one and read it cover to cover at least 3 times.
  2. Freeman and Hart's ( new ) recovery manager book "Oracle Database 10g RMAN backup and recovery". ( Same thing )
  3. Cary Millsap's "Optimizing Oracle Performance". Rinse and repeat.

Only after working hard on all three of these then proceed with oracle documentation. Start with concepts guide.

Proceed with the online courses or whatever you wish ONLY after you have done all the above. Received on Mon Jan 29 2007 - 06:11:16 CST