Re: SQL developer want become oracle DBA

From: my-dba <billnguyen911_at_gmail.com>
Date: 28 Jan 2007 23:11:49 -0800

On Jan 28, 5:10 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> my-dba wrote:
> > Hello All,
>
> > Any input would be appreciated, and thanks much.
> > I am a SQL developer/software engineer. I would like to learn and
> > become a Oracle DBA. I don't have time to come to training class so I
> > consider take the online course from Oracle http://
> > education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?
> > page_id=39 . Do you have any ideas what books and online courses are
> > a good resources? Thanks.
>
> > BillClasses are good but there is no substitute for hands-on experience
> and the on-line classes ... I can't say I can think of a single
> employer who would consider that evidence of anything other than
> interest in the subject.
>
> Build an Oracle server at home with 10.2.0.3 and practice the basic
> skills. For example ... backup, recovery, and restoration with RMAN.
> When you think you understand it ... have a friend come in and do some
> damage (drop a datafile, corrupt a control file) and test yourself on
> identifying and fixing the problem.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

Thank you Daniel for your input. I like first to learn Oracle DBA in books and online courses then I will hand-on to the real Oracle Database. I do understand SQL and PL/SQL, but I like to learn how the Oracle database work so I can fix it when it has a problem. is the online courses at http://education.oracle.com help? There are lots of Oracle DBA out there, but which one is a good one to start? Thanks much.
Bill Received on Mon Jan 29 2007 - 01:11:49 CST