Re: Which one: OCI or the Oracle Compiler?

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala.SPAM_ME.NOT_at_verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 01:57:59 GMT

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:35:40 -0800, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

> I have a lot invested in OCI programs, written under Linux and
> Solaris. Since I have seen some annoying bugs, I am considering
> switching to the Oracle Compiler. I realize that Oracle's writing on
> the wall is to switch to Java, and I am as fan of Java as anyone.
> Having said that Java will never be as fast as a compiled application,
> that's why I am limiting my choices to OCI and Oracle Compiler.

Oracle compiler? What does Oracle compiler compile? I am unaware of any general purpose C/C++/COBOL/RPG compiler produced by Oracle Corp.

> I use Java for other things, not to interface with Oracle in an
> application that demands high performance.

Smart choice. Java is a monstrosity.

> One of the bugs I have found are is big selects:
>
> SELECT A,B,C,...,Z FROM table

What's wrong with them?

> My temporary solution is this:
>
> SELECT * FROM table

And what problem is being solved by this?

> My feeling is that Oracle is not investing too many resources to
> improving OCI.

Oracle is not investing too many resources into improving anything. I find the quality of the new Oracle products as appalling as the quality of the accompanying documentation.

> Should I expect more reliablility/fewer bugs if I move to the Oracle
> Compiler?

You should expect zero bugs unbreakable compiler with gazillions of undocumented and unexpected features. We were all taught how to play with the English language by the master who has publicly discussed the meaning of the word "is". It is not therefore very surprising to see a corporation rename bugs to features. An old master of the English language once coined the term "doublespeak" which is being implemented as we speak, along with the "newspeak". It's 23 years after the deadline, but the old masters never lose their relevance. The world is still talking about the first version of Aaron Spelling, I believe that his name was William Shakespeare, or something like that.

Of course, all that is true provided that Oracle makes a compiler in the first place. I'm not very sure that this is the case.

Thought’s the slave of life, and life time’s fool; And time, that takes survey of all the world, Must have a stop. O! I could prophesy
But that the earthy and cold hand of death Lies on my tongue"
(Henry IV)

--
http://www.mladen-gogala.com