Re: SQL developer want become oracle DBA

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 17:10:27 -0800

my-dba wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Any input would be appreciated, and thanks much.
> I am a SQL developer/software engineer. I would like to learn and
> become a Oracle DBA. I don't have time to come to training class so I
> consider take the online course from Oracle http://
> education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?
> page_id=39 . Do you have any ideas what books and online courses are
> a good resources? Thanks.
>
> Bill

Classes are good but there is no substitute for hands-on experience and the on-line classes ... I can't say I can think of a single employer who would consider that evidence of anything other than interest in the subject.

Build an Oracle server at home with 10.2.0.3 and practice the basic skills. For example ... backup, recovery, and restoration with RMAN. When you think you understand it ... have a friend come in and do some damage (drop a datafile, corrupt a control file) and test yourself on identifying and fixing the problem.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington